Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Isle of Skye or Bust!

Waking up this morning I was feeling pretty rough. Apparently I'm allergic to Scotland because I can't stop sneezing and my head wants to explode.

So what better way to cure it than by being outside all day long on a tour. Ugh!

I'm actually pretty excited today because I booked a private day tour to drive us around The Isle of Skye. My Scottish friend George told me you can't do Scotland without doing the Highlands.

Our tour guide Tony picked us up at the hotel and we started heading up north...


We stopped in this little village. I have no idea what its called but everything sounds the same here, so it's Glen something or Inver something...


And we went for a short hike up to this really pretty old bridge...


Dad told Tony that our family is descended from the Scottish MacDonald Clan. Tony got excited and said throughout the day he would share our clan history with us. Ooh fancy!


I really was hoping that it would warm up because it was still pretty cold out and my head was still all explod-y


But Mom and Dad were like little kids, ooh look at that, wow look over there, so it's a good distraction, and pretty cute to see...


Speaking of excited, Mom nearly fell over when she saw the hairy Scottish Highland cows, apparently she loves them, who knew. This one was pretty far away, but Tony promised to find us one up close so Mom could take a picture with it...


We hopped back in the car and headed towards the Isle of Skye. Then the most amazing thing happened, the sun came out!! Tony joked that we had great timing because we caught the one day of summer!


This is when Tony started with the MacDonald history lessons, and then he talked about William Wallace and the Jacobite uprisings (whoever they are). And I kid you not, every story ended with someone getting their head chopped off, drawn and quartered, burned alive etc. Clearly we booked the family tour...


The other amazing thing about Scotland is how quiet it can be. Like literally there wasn't a sound other than the breeze. It was so strange, but so peaceful at the same time...


That's either Loch Ness, Loch Localsh or Loch Lochie (I feel like they got lazy naming this one, it's like those people with the same first and last name, weird)...


Then we made a stop at Eilann Donan Castle, which sits right on the Loch...


So pretty...


And it comes with a bagpiper, bonus!


From here we are heading over the Skye Bridge to the Isle itself...


It's just so incredibly beautiful here...


Mom and Dad are having a great time. Mom took so many pictures already that her battery died...


And my head is finally clearing up a little. Off to the Isle, more later!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Isle of Skye, Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment