Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Kingdom for a Hairy Cow

The Isle of Skye looks very barren in these pictures but it's still winter. Tony told us that all the brown you see is actually Heather and when it blooms half of the island is covered in purple flowers...


We drove up into the hills and Tony let us hop out to walk around, and we heard our first noise in hours...


And obviously the animals wanted to enjoy the sunshine too...


The hills are covered in sheep, Shetland Ponies, but no cows, just all hanging out doing their thing...


Then we went to the beach and walked around for a bit. It's pretty awesome to have parents that still hold hands and have fun together after 40 years...


I guess that entire rock there is made of marble, pretty neat. Then we drove up to the top of the hills to get a panoramic view of the island...


There were sheep up there too, but still no cows...


Tony was continuing with the stories. To be honest I sorta tuned him out a little, history isn't my thing, but Dad loved it. All of Tony's stories sort of went like this...

The year was 1065, blah blah blah, and then he was executed or and then they sent his severed head to the King...


That is a Clan MacDonald ruin in the background. I'm sure something bloody happened there. I'm beginning to realize my ancestors were screwed up. The Burkes were grave robbers in Edinburgh and the MacDonalds chopped your head off if you looked at them the wrong way...


The water here was so crystal blue...


I'm so happy that the weather cleared up so my parents could enjoy the day. After spending a few hours on the Isle we hopped on the ferry to head back to the Mainland...


That's our ferry boat...


Mom was enjoying the scenery...


Once back on the Mainland, Tony took us to Glen something else...


And the snow topped mountain is Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in Britain which is usually all covered in clouds so we really lucked out today...


This is, to quote Tony, "the Church seen in some rubbish movie called, Maid to Order"...


I haven't seen it, but I'll probably check it out now...


Then we climbed up the hill to see the Vaiduct used in The Harry Potter movies!


And that hill on the right is where the CGI Hogwarts school sits...


But Mom still hadn't seen her cows yet. Then on the way back, Tony came through and found a herd grazing by the side of the road...


I think Mom would have hung out there all day if she could...


I have to admit they are kinda pretty..


And for those of you that think I'm making up the fact that Tony told bloody stories, here is one of his two books, now on Kindle!


All in all, it was an amazing day, thanks Tony!!


Now we are off to grab a quick bite and hit the sack. We are heading to York in the morning, 6 hour train ride, zzzz. Fingers crossed that the trains are running again!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Still Isle of Skye, Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment